Friday, June 27, 2008

TGIF

Honestly, this week took FOREVER. My boss is going on vacation next week (yippee!) so he's been scrambling around like a madman trying to tie up loose ends. Even though I'm the most junior associate in his department, I've been here the longest (don't you just love how stupid law firm seniority goes by class year instead of years at the firm?), so I am sort of his default second-in-command when he is gone. I have the most familiarity with the clients (and they with me) so he just tells them to contact me when he's gone ... which means I have to be caught up on everything. His being busy also means that he took forever editing an Answer I drafted yesterday, and I was here making edits and working on other stuff until after 9pm last night. Awesome. My excellent husband ordered some chinese garlic shrimp for me last night, though, so I at least I didn't have to cook when I got home at nearly 10. We both had trouble getting out of bed this morning, but I did manage to get to work by 9:30ish. Hooray for me. Not that ANY of this will make a difference when I finally have my review for bonus/raise purposes in July. I hate how everything is focused on billables, even though 1) I can't control the work load and 2) it punishes efficiency. There is so much more I do here -- always willing to stay late, come in early, never whining (really hard for me) . . . but all they care about is the numbers. We'll see -- maybe they'll surprise me with a big bonus and I can buy my fancy bag.

This weekend should be good and relaxing. I have a birthday party to get to tonight, and hopefully hubby won't be stuck at work. We'd planned a housekeeping day for tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to tackling some projects and also just relaxing.

Sunday we are getting our crowns removed. I am trying to find a link online to explain what that means, but I'm having trouble. The long and short of it is that crowns play a big part in our wedding service, and, traditionally, wedding parties lasted for a week or more, and the bride and groom wore their crowns the whole time (so all the party-goers would be able to identify them). At the end of the festivities, the priest would remove the crowns and say a blessing, signifying that the party was over, and the new couple were ready to receive guests in their home. These days, the party only lasts a day (NOT LONG ENOUGH!), but we come back after our honeymoons and do a quick service at the end of liturgy, where the priest will put the crowns back on our heads, say a little prayer, remove the crowns, and present us to the church. It's supposed to be done the first time you return to church, but for us that was Pentecost, which is an insanely long service anyway. I missed last week for my friend's bridal shower, so we are doing it this Sunday. I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Don said...

Enjoy that service and may God grant you and your husband many years!